Kirby Happer is an Associate Attorney with Urban Thier & Federer, P.A. and is based out of the firm’s Orlando office.
Ms. Happer’s practice focuses primarily on commercial and personal injury litigation as well as transactional matters. Ms. Happer is fluent in German and advises domestic and international clients on litigation strategy as well as corporate matters. She has extensive experience in securities litigation, including class-actions.
Education: A.B. Duke University and JD from The University of North Carolina. (See more details below)
Ms. Happer has traveled and lived abroad extensively. She did a year of high school at the Luisen Gymnasium in Hamburg Bergedorf. https://www.halloluise.de/
She also spent a semester at the Sorbonne at Duke and a semester at Jean Moulin in law school. https://www.univ-paris1.fr/ http://facdedroit.univ-lyon3.fr/ She speaks French at a conversational level.
BEACHSIDE LEGAL SERVICES, P.l.l.C., Satellite Beach, FL – December 2016 to Current
Insurance defense counsel focused on litigation in Brevard, Orange, and Volusia Counties.
- Draft pleadings and motions including motions to dismiss, strike and compel and for contempt.
- Taking and defending depositions of plaintiffs, defendants, experts and witnesses.
- Arguments at hearings before circuit court judges and negotiation with opposing counsel.
- Supervision of paralegals and legal secretaries with regard to litigation documents and process.
- Draft discovery requests and responses including interrogatories and requests to produce.
LAW OFFICES OF CHARLES M. GREENE, P.A., Orlando, FL – January 2016 to August 2016
Litigation boutique focused on challenging and complex cases representing plaintiffs and defendants.
- Drafted litigation documents including motions for large complex fraud case.
- Organized and managed complex document review process including discussion and description of documents in pleadings.
- Located and identified experts for various issues related to evidence.
- Reviewed and analyzed deposition transcripts, and other documents produced in discovery.
GRANT & EISENHOFER, P.A., Wilmington, DE – 2002 to 2003; 2007 to 2015
Lead pharmaceutical industry litigation, including anti-kickback, marketing/sales, and whistle blower. Specialized in multi-national class-action litigation related to internationally traded securities. Managed litigation process, including foreign language documents; serve as German language expert.
- Prepared litigation for class-action cases in federal courts.
- Represented clients of public pension funds, including state and municipal funds.
- Participated in anti-trust cases involving chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Provide analysis of evidence and organization of documents produced in discovery.
- Reviewed and analyze deposition transcripts.
- Managed and advise German institutional clients and oversee litigation linked to Germany.
DUKE UNIVERSilY, (DUKE CLINICAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE) Durham, NC – 2006 to 2007
Manager, Contracts Administration
Created novel contracts to maintain compliance with previously executed agreements and internal mandates.
- Guided physicians and clinical trial leaders on compliance with terms and conditions of contracts as well as Food and Drug Administration and other regulations.
- Advised internal clients regarding use of pharmaceutical-company-owned intellectual property, such as publications regarding research results and research sponsorship.
TILP PLLC, New York, NY – 2005 to 2006
German Law Firm
Associate I Head of New York Office
Specialized in cross-border matters and representation of German clients, both individuals and institutions.
- Argued matters in federal courts (S.D.N.Y.), including briefs, motions, and other litigation filings.
- Negotiated with opposing counsel regarding on-going litigation and high-value settlements.
- Advised foreign clients (in German) on United States laws for litigation and transactions.
PARK AVENUE lASER VISION, New York, NY 2005
Administered compliance with state and federal laws and regulations, including HIPAA for high volume Eye Laser Surgery Center. Drafted and negotiated legal documents for the practice, including sourcing and consulting agreements. Negotiated and litigated settlements of disputes, including technology and intellectual property.
WYETH, Collegeville, PA – 2003 to 2004
Attorney (Contracts Manager), Global Business Development Group
Negotiated and drafted confidentiality, non-disclosure, and tech-transfer agreements to protect intellectual property, including trade-secrets and improvements; ensured license protection.
- Drafted domestic, ex-US, and multinational manufacturing agreements, including clinical tests and research for pharmaceutical products and devices (biotechnology products and vaccines).
- Created data bank of form contracts for the purchasing/strategic sourcing group and supervised compliance with regulations, including current Good Manufacturing Practices and quality controls.
- Negotiated and drafted agreements for quality assurance and compliance with United States, European, Japanese, and other international regulatory agencies.
KILPATRICK STOCKTON LLP, Raleigh, NC – 2000 to 2002
Associate (Securities Group- Technology/Bio-technology Sub-Group)
Drafted private placement memoranda, Rule 144 opinion letters, shareholder agreements, articles of incorporation, stock-purchase agreements, merger/acquisition documents, and employment agreements. Represented companies and institutions, including university-owned corporations, in intellectual property, and general corporate matters; created license agreements. Advised public and private companies on securities transactions (1933 &1934 Act).
EDUCATION & BAR ADMISSION
Juris Doctor (J.D.), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC Bachelor of Arts (A.B.) in German Literature, cum laude, Duke University, Durham, NC BAR ADMISSIONS: New York, North Carolina, Florida