John J. Sweeney
Mr. Sweeney’s practice focuses primarily on Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning as well as Elder, Tax, Business, Mergers, Acquisitions, and International Law. He is a practical, business-oriented lawyer who strives for solutions. He is experienced in setting up estate plans tailored to each client’s unique situation, including all manner of wills, trusts, and other estate planning tools and instruments. This experience includes planning for estates with multiple jurisdictional and international aspects, assets and legal considerations. It also includes trusts for tax planning, probate avoidance, and asset protection purposes.
His tax experience is deep and varied including extensive US tax and international taxation in Europe, Asia and South America. Mr. Sweeney has counseled corporations, individuals and other entities in cross border taxation and methods to minimize taxation or prevent double taxation. His business, mergers and acquisitions background is rooted in his experience as a lawyer, manager and CFO for startup, growth, insurance, and financial service companies and is the basis for his unique business oriented approach. He has worked for both private and public companies. He has over 10 years of international experience spanning Europe, South America and Asia. He has a deep background in international and domestic tax planning. His extensive M&A experience includes over 30 deals totaling $12B in assets, many international.
John’s business experience includes acting as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for a public dot com (.com) and as the Head of Tax for an international insurance company with $6B in revenue. He was also CFO, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for a private equity portfolio company. Formerly, he was the CFO for ING International Insurance Holdings, a complex multinational insurance operation with revenues of over $4B. His prior work experience also includes roles with Aetna International as its Tax Director and AIG as a tax lawyer at its world headquarters.
John is a member of the Connecticut, New York and Washington D.C. bars.
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- LLM – 1998
- Pace Law School, White Plains, New York
- Juris Doctor – 1982
Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
Recipient, CALI Excellence For The Future Award
International Moot Court Board
- Arizona State University
- B.S. In Accounting – 1979
- Grandparents.Com – Chief Financial Officer With Significant Responsibilities For Legal And Compliance In A Public Dot Com.
- Hanover Insurance Company – Vice President/Director Of Tax With Significant International Taxation Responsibilties
- Longevity Alliance, Inc. – General Counsel And Chief Financial Officer For A Private Equity Portfolio Company With Significant Responsibilities For Human Resources (HR), Compliance, Facilities And Information Technology (IT)
- New York Liquidation Bureau – Chief Financial Officer For The New York Insurance Department Insolvency Division
- ING International Holding – Chief Financial Officer And Director Of International Tax For A Multinational Insurance Company
- Aetna International – Vice President/Director Of Tax For An International Insurance Company
- AIG – Tax Attorney For A Large Growing Insurance Company
- Member, Elder Counsel
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Estate Planning
- Elder Law
- Tax Law
- Business Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Law
- New York