UTF Law Firm | Urban Thier Federer, P.A.

Call Us Internally: 001 888-799-7037

Outside of the US: 001 212-257-0898

What is the difference between L-1B and L-1A visas?

On Behalf of | Mar 23, 2021 | Immigration |

There are many types of visas that can be given to a who wants to come to the United States. L-1B and L-1A visas are both used to temporarily grant a person temporary residency within the United States to work in a highly specialized field. As an example, if an employee were to transfer from Germany to an Orlando or New York office, they might need one of these visas. While these visas are very similar, there are some key differences.

What are the differences?

These visas are used to grant temporary residence to an employee who is transferring from one office to another within the same company. The differences come into play with the employee’s role.

The L-1A visa is for employees who work as managers or executives within the company. If a vice president were to relocate from another country into a United States office, they would need an L-1A visa.

The L-1B visa is for employees who work in a specialized position or have unique knowledge. Generally, an employer would expand upon these details upon filing the form.

What’s the fine print?

Both visas don’t require a physical location within the U.S., as long as the employees move to the U.S. with the intention of establishing an office. In both cases, the employee has to work at the office for at least one year before being transferred. Your employer will provide more information in the application process that can qualify or disqualify you.

What if I have questions?

Ideally, your employer would help you answer any and all immigration questions regarding your transfer to the United States. But if you or your employer have questions regarding your move to the United States on one of these two visas, an experienced immigration law attorney would be a good source of information.