UTF Law Firm | Urban Thier Federer, P.A.

Call Us Internally: 001 888-799-7037

Outside of the US: 001 212-257-0898

Foreign citizens and compensation for a CA car accident injury

On Behalf of | May 10, 2022 | Personal Injury and Wrongful Death |

As a visitor to the United States, whether long-term or short-term, it can be difficult to determine what your legal options are, particularly when laws often vary so much between U.S. states.

After a car accident in California, your injuries may result in missed work and expensive medical bills. Here is what you need to know about getting compensation for your injuries.

Can I seek compensation for a car accident?

If you suffer an injury from a motor vehicle collision in the U.S., you have the same rights as an American citizen to bring a lawsuit for compensation. Under California law specifically, your immigration or citizenship status cannot impact the amount of the damages you receive, helping to ensure equal treatment.

Where do I file a lawsuit?

You will need to pursue your lawsuit with the court that has jurisdiction over your case. Typically, this means you should file in the state where the accident occurred. As a foreign citizen, you can also take your case to federal court, provided the value of the case exceeds $75,000.

When can I file a case?

All states have laws that limit the time frame within which you can bring a lawsuit for injuries sustained in a car crash. In California, the statute of limitations for motor vehicle accident compensation is two years.

Car crashes are often traumatic experiences, even more so when you are outside of your home country. Make sure you understand what steps to take to ensure you can recover damages.