UTF Law Firm | Urban Thier Federer, P.A.

Call Us Internally: 001 888-799-7037

Outside of the US: 001 212-257-0898

Estate Proceedings in Florida and the United States with a Special Focus on Non-US Residents

by | Jul 29, 2017 | Firm News, Orlando, Palm Beach, Trust, Estate Planning, and Probate |


Have you inherited in the United States of America but you are residing outside of the USA? Perhaps you are residing in Germany or the United Kingdom? Have you inherited from a deceased family member who owned assets in the USA? Are you residing outside of the USA and just received notice that you are a potential heir of a deceased person in the USA? Would you like to know what steps to take now? The attorneys at Urban Thier & Federer, P.A., can help you.

UTF and its attorneys have been involved in many U.S. probate and estate matters with international implications. A particular focus of this firm’s practice is on probate and estate matters in the state of Florida, but we also assist clients with regards to inheritance matters in many other U.S. states as well as outside of the United States of America. UTF also has offices in Europe: namely in Munich and London where we assist heirs from the USA in German or British probate matters. Our attorneys are knowledgeable and can assist you through the unfamiliar process in the U.S. and the nuances of the laws on an international level as this can be complicated or may result in ancillary probate proceedings.

For example, in the U.S., in order to clear title to assets such as tangible and real property after a person has passed away, who was residing outside of the USA, it is necessary to open an ancillary probate case in the appropriate court in the USA. In that process, an estate will be opened up and usually one person will be appointed to represent the estate in the U.S. The estate will then pay the debts of the deceased person, including taxes. Furthermore, the court appointed representative will eventually transfer ownership of the remaining assets to the living heirs. This process may sound quite complicated, different and unfamiliar if you are a non-resident of the USA, but our experienced attorneys will guide you through the process.

Our attorneys can also be of assistance if you are a resident of the USA and need to open up an international ancillary probate proceeding. The procedures in Europe are different from the ones in the U.S. Urban Thier & Federer, P.A. can guide you and assist you with these international estate issues, including inheritance taxation in the US and abroad.

For further information or in depth details, please do not hesitate to contact us through our contact box or give us a call at (407)-245-8352.

Please note UTF does not represent you and cannot take any action on your behalf unless and until you enter into a formal written Legal Representation Agreement.